How to organize a gently used book drive
If you are interested in organizing a book drive for a Reach Out and Read program site, here are some guidelines to help in your planning. These guidelines were developed out of respect for families and in keeping with the philosophy of Reach Out and Read -- every child deserves quality, appropriate books.
- Used books are often used in the waiting room, given away to children who for come for a sick visit or given to siblings who do not have an appointment that day but would like a book to take home as well
- Used books must be "gently-used" (covers and pages intact, clean and readable)
- Hardcover picture books with brightly-covered pictures and interesting stories are ideal.
- Reach Out and Read's focus is on children between the ages of six months through five years of age, although books for older children may be accepted depending on the needs of individual program sites.
- Donated books should be developmentally and culturally-appropriate.
- Books about sensitive issues like divorce, abuse, death or religion cannot be accepted.
Annotated book list
Recommended books for book drive
Promotional Flyer for Book Drive (contact Salina at firstname.lastname@example.org to have this personalized for your organization)
Promotional Flyer for Mother's Day Book Drive (contact Salina at email@example.com to have this personalized for your organization)